List of Inventions and Contrivances
- A mode of applying Steam Power for the Traction of Canal Barges, without injury to the Canal
- An Instrument for Measuring the Total Comparative Expansion of all Solid Bodies.
- A Method of increasing the Effectiveness of Steam by super-heating it on its Passage from the
Boiler to the Engine.
- A Method of "chucking" delicate Metal-work, in order that it may be turned with perfect truth
- A Method of casting Specula for Reflecting Telescopes, so as to ensure perfect Freeness from Defects,
at the same time enhancing the Brilliancy of the Alloy.
- A Mode of transmitting Rotary Motion by means of a Flexible Shaft, formed of a Coiled Spiral
Wire or Rod of Steel.
- A Mode of cutting Square or Hexagonal Collared Nuts or Bolt-Heads by means of a Revolving File or
- An Investigation into the Origin and Mode of writing the Cuneiform Character.
- A Machine for cutting the Key-Grooves in Metal Wheels and Belt Pulleys, of ANY Diameter.
- An Instrument for finding and marking the Centres of Cylindrical Rods or Bolts about to be turned on the
- Improvement in Steam-Engine Pistons, and in Water and Air-Pump Buckets, so as to lessen Friction and
dispense with Packing.
- An instantaneous Mode of producing graceful Curves, suitable for designing Vases and other graceful
objects in Pottery and Glass.
- A Machine for planing the smaller or detail parts of Machinery, whether Flat of Cylindrical.
- Solar Ray Origins of the form of the Egyptian Pyramids, Obelisks, etc
- Method of reversing the action of Slide Lathes.
- Self-adjusting Bearings for the Shafts of Machinery
- Invention of Safety Foundry Ladle
- Invention of the Steam Ram
- Invention of the Steam Hammer, in its general principles and details
- Invention of the Floating Mortar or Torpedo Ram.
- A Double-faced Wedge-shaped Sluice-Valve for Main Street Water-pipes.
- A Hydraulic Mattress Press, capable of exerting a pressure of Twenty thousand tons.
- A Tapping Square, or instrument by which Perfect Verticality of the Tapping of Screwed Holes is
- A Mode of turning Segmental Work in the Ordinary Lathe.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.