Humane to Hysteric
1. Kind, benevolent, benignant, obliging, accommodating, tender, sympathetic, charitable, compassionate,
clement, gentle, kindhearted, tender-hearted, good-hearted.
2. Proper to man, manlike, worthy of man.
3. Elevating, refining, cultivating, humanizing, spiritual, rational.
Humanist, n. Student of polite literature, devotee of culture.
Humanities, n. pl. [With The prefixed.] Belleslettres, polite literature, elegant literature, literature as
the vehicle of cultivated reason, literature as the union of truth and beauty.
1. Human nature.
2. Mankind, the human race.
3. Kindness, benevolence, benignity, philanthropy, tenderness, sympathy, charity, humaneness, kind-
heartedness, fellow-feeling, good nature, milk of human kindness.
4. Human spirit, spirit or essence of man, reason, rationality, culture, spirit of truth and beauty.
Humanize, v. a.
1. Soften, make humane.
2. Civilize, cultivate, refine, polish, improve, enlighten, educate, reclaim from barbarism, fill with sensibility
to justice, truth, and beauty.
1. Meek, modest, unassuming, unpretending, unobtrusive, lowly, submissive, free from pride, free from
haughtiness, without arrogance.
2. Low, small, poor, unpretending.
Humble, v. a.
1. Humiliate, shame, mortify, degrade, crush, break, subdue, abash, make ashamed, bring down, put
down, take down, put out of countenance.