(Tan"ta*mount`), v. i. To be tantamount or equivalent; to amount. [Obs.] Jer. Taylor.
(Tan*tiv"y) adv. [Said to be from the note of a hunting horn.] Swiftly; speedily; rapidly; a fox-
hunting term; as, to ride tantivy.
(Tan*tiv"y), n. A rapid, violent gallop; an impetuous rush. Cleverland.
(Tan*tiv"y), v. i. To go away in haste. [Colloq.]
(Tan"trum) n. A whim, or burst of ill-humor; an affected air. [Colloq.] Thackeray.
(Tan"yard`) n. An inclosure where the tanning of leather is carried on; a tannery.
(||Tan`y*stom"a*ta) n. pl. [NL., fr. Gr. to stretch + mouth.] (Zoöl.) A division of dipterous
insects in which the proboscis is large and contains lancelike mandibles and maxillæ. The horseflies and
robber flies are examples.
(Ta"o*ism) n. One of the popular religions of China, sanctioned by the state. Ta"o*ist, a. &
(Tap) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tapped ; p. pr. & vb. n. Tapping.] [F. taper to strike; of Teutonic origin; cf.
dial. G. tapp, tapps, a blow, tappe a paw, fist, G. tappen to grope.]
1. To strike with a slight or gentle blow; to touch gently; to rap lightly; to pat; as, to tap one with the hand
or a cane.
2. To put a new sole or heel on; as, to tap shoes.
(Tap), n. [Cf. F. tape. See Tap to strike.]
1. A gentle or slight blow; a light rap; a pat. Addison.
2. A piece of leather fastened upon the bottom of a boot or shoe in repairing or renewing the sole or
3. pl. (Mil.) A signal, by drum or trumpet, for extinguishing all lights in soldiers' quarters and retiring to
bed, usually given about a quarter of an hour after tattoo. Wilhelm.
(Tap), v. i. To strike a gentle blow.
(Tap), n. [AS. tæppa, akin to D. tap, G. zapfen, OHG. zapfo, Dan. tap, Sw. tapp, Icel. tappi.
Cf. Tampion, Tip.]
1. A hole or pipe through which liquor is drawn.
2. A plug or spile for stopping a hole pierced in a cask, or the like; a faucet.
3. Liquor drawn through a tap; hence, a certain kind or quality of liquor; as, a liquor of the same tap.
4. A place where liquor is drawn for drinking; a taproom; a bar. [Colloq.]
5. (Mech.) A tool for forming an internal screw, as in a nut, consisting of a hardened steel male screw
grooved longitudinally so as to have cutting edges.
On tap. (a) Ready to be drawn; as, ale on tap. (b) Broached, or furnished with a tap; as, a barrel on
tap. Plug tap (Mech.), a screw-cutting tap with a slightly tapering end. Tap bolt, a bolt with a