Splashy to Split
(Splash"y) a. Full of dirty water; wet and muddy, so as be easily splashed about; slushy.
(Splat"ter) v. i. & t. To spatter; to splash.
(Splat"ter*dash`) n . Uproar. Jamieson.
(Splay) v. t. [Abbrev. of display.]
1. To display; to spread. [Obs.] "Our ensigns splayed." Gascoigne.
2. To dislocate, as a shoulder bone.
3. To spay; to castrate. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.]
4. To turn on one side; to render oblique; to slope or slant, as the side of a door, window, etc. Oxf. Gloss.
(Splay), a. Displayed; spread out; turned outward; hence, flat; ungainly; as, splay shoulders.
Sonwthing splay, something blunt-edged, unhandy, and infelicitous.M. Arnold.
(Splay), a. (Arch.) A slope or bevel, especially of the sides of a door or window, by which the
opening is made larged at one face of the wall than at the other, or larger at each of the faces than it is
(Splay"foot`) n.; pl. Splayfeet A foot that is abnormally flattened and spread out; flat foot.
(Splay"foot`, Splay"foot`ed) a. Having a splayfoot or splayfeet.
(Splay"mouth`) n.; pl. Splaymouths A wide mouth; a mouth stretched in derision. Dryden.
(Splay`mouthed") a. Having a splaymouth. T. Brown.
(Spleen) n. [L. splen, Gr. the milt or spleen, affection of the spleen; cf. L. lien, plihan, plihan.]
1. (Anat.) A peculiar glandlike but ductless organ found near the stomach or intestine of most vertebrates
and connected with the vascular system; the milt. Its exact function in not known.
2. Anger; latent spite; ill humor; malice; as, to vent one's spleen.
In noble minds some dregs remain,Pope.
Not yet purged off, of spleen and sour disdain.
3. A fit of anger; choler. Shak.
4. A sudden motion or action; a fit; a freak; a whim. [Obs. or R.]
A thousand spleens bear her a thousand ways.Shak.
5. Melancholy; hypochondriacal affections.
Bodies changed to various forms by spleen.Pope.
There is a luxury in self-dispraise:Wordsworth.
And inward self-disparagement affords
To meditative spleen a grateful
6. A fit of immoderate laughter or merriment. [Obs.]
Thy silly thought enforces my spleen.Shak.