Rav"en*ous*ly, adv. Rav"en*ous*ness, n.
(Ra"ven's-duck`) n. [Cf. G. ravenstuch.] A fine quality of sailcloth. Ham. Nav. Encyc.
(Rav"er) n. One who raves.
(Rav"in) a. Ravenous. [Obs.] Shak.
(Rav"in, Rav"ine) n. [See 2d Raven.] Food obtained by violence; plunder; prey; raven. "Fowls of
Though Nature, red in tooth and clawTennyson.
With ravine, shrieked against his creed.
(Rav"in, Rav"ine), v. t. & i. See Raven, v. t. & i.
(Ra*vine") n. [F., a place excavated by a torrent, a ravine, fr. ravir to snatch or tear away, L.
rapere; cf. L. rapina rapine. See Ravish, and cf. Rapine, Raven prey.]
1. A torrent of water. [Obs.] Cotgrave.
2. A deep and narrow hollow, usually worn by a stream or torrent of water; a gorge; a mountain cleft.
(Rav"ing) a. Talking irrationally and wildly; as, a raving lunatic. Rav"ing*ly, adv.
(Rav"ish) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Ravished (-isht); p. pr. & vb. n. Ravishing.] [OE. ravissen, F.
ravir, fr. L. rapere to snatch or tear away, to ravish. See Rapacious, Rapid, and - ish.]
1. To seize and carry away by violence; to snatch by force.
These hairs which thou dost ravish from my chinShak.
Will quicken, and accuse thee.
This hand shall ravish thy pretended right.Dryden.
2. To transport with joy or delight; to delight to ecstasy. "Ravished . . . for the joy." Chaucer.
Thou hast ravished my heart.Cant. iv. 9.
3. To have carnal knowledge of (a woman) by force, and against her consent; to rape. Shak.
Syn. To transport; entrance; enrapture; delight; violate; deflour; force.
(Rav"ish*er) n. One who ravishes
(Rav"ish*ing), a. Rapturous; transporting.
(Rav"ish*ing*ly), adv. In a ravishing manner.
(Rav"ish*ment) n. [F. ravissement. See Ravish.]
1. The act of carrying away by force or against consent; abduction; as, the ravishment of children from
their parents, of a ward from his guardian, or of a wife from her husband. Blackstone.
2. The state of being ravished; rapture; transport of delight; ecstasy. Spenser.
In whose sight all things joy, with ravishmentMilton.
Attracted by thy beauty still to gaze.
3. The act of ravishing a woman; rape.