2. The practice of partaking to excess of intoxicating liquors.
3. An entertainment with liquors; a carousal.
Drinking is used adjectively, or as the first part of a compound; as, a drinking song, drinking cup, drinking
glass, drinking house, etc.
Drinking horn, a drinking vessel made of a horn.
(Drink"less), a. Destitute of drink. Chaucer.
(Drip) v. i. [imp. & p. p. Dripped or Dript; p. pr. & vb. n. Dripping.] [Akin to LG. drippen, Dan.
dryppe, from a noun. See Drop.]
1. To fall in drops; as, water drips from the eaves.
2. To let fall drops of moisture or liquid; as, a wet garment drips.
The dark round of the dripping wheel.Tennyson.
(Drip), v. t. To let fall in drops.
Which from the thatch drips fast a shower of rain.Swift.
1. A falling or letting fall in drops; a dripping; that which drips, or falls in drops.
The light drip of the suspended oar.Byron.
2. (Arch.) That part of a cornice, sill course, or other horizontal member, which projects beyond the
rest, and is of such section as to throw off the rain water.
Right of drip (Law), an easement or servitude by which a man has the right to have the water flowing
from his house fall on the land of his neighbor.
1. A falling in drops, or the sound so made.
2. That which falls in drops, as fat from meat in roasting.
Dripping pan, a pan for receiving the fat which drips from meat in roasting.
(Drip"ple) a. [From Drip, cf. Dribble.] Weak or rare. [Obs.]
(Drip"stone`) n. (Arch.) A drip, when made of stone. See Drip, 2.
(Drive) v. t. [imp. Drove formerly Drave (drav); p. p. Driven (driv'n); p. pr. & vb. n. Driving.]
[AS. drifan; akin to OS. driban, D. drijven, OHG. triban, G. treiben, Icel. drifa, Goth. dreiban. Cf.
1. To impel or urge onward by force in a direction away from one, or along before one; to push forward; to
compel to move on; to communicate motion to; as, to drive cattle; to drive a nail; smoke drives persons
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.