Traded to Trail
(Trad"ed), a. Professional; practiced. [Obs.] Shak.
(Trade"ful), a. Full of trade; busy in traffic; commercial. Spenser.
(Trade"less), a. Having no trade or traffic. Young.
(Trade"-mark`) n. A peculiar distinguishing mark or device affixed by a manufacturer or a
merchant to his goods, the exclusive right of using which is recognized by law.
1. One engaged in trade or commerce; one who makes a business of buying and selling or of barter; a
merchant; a trafficker; as, a trader to the East Indies; a country trader.
2. A vessel engaged in the coasting or foreign trade.
(||Trad`es*can"ti*a) n. (Bot.) A genus including spiderwort and Wandering Jew.
(Trades"folk`) n. People employed in trade; tradesmen. [R.] Swift.
(Trades"man) n.; pl. Tradesmen
1. One who trades; a shopkeeper.
2. A mechanic or artificer; esp., one whose livelihood depends upon the labor of his hands. [U. S.] Burrill.
(Trades"peo`ple) n. People engaged in trade; shopkeepers.
(trades" un`ion or Trade" un`ion). An organized combination among workmen for the purpose
of maintaining their rights, privileges, and interests with respect to wages, hours of labor, customs, etc.
(Trades"-un`ion*ist, or Trade"-un`ion*ist), n. A member of a trades union, or a supporter
of trades unions.
(Trades"wom`an) n.; pl. Tradeswomen A woman who trades, or is skilled in trade.
1. Carrying on trade or commerce; engaged in trade; as, a trading company.
2. Frequented by traders. [R.] "They on the trading flood." Milton.
3. Venal; corrupt; jobbing; as, a trading politician.
(Tra*di"tion) n. [OE. tradicioun, L. traditio, from tradere to give up, transmit. See Treason,
1. The act of delivering into the hands of another; delivery. "A deed takes effect only from the tradition
or delivery." Blackstone.
2. The unwritten or oral delivery of information, opinions, doctrines, practices, rites, and customs, from
father to son, or from ancestors to posterity; the transmission of any knowledge, opinions, or practice,
from forefathers to descendants by oral communication, without written memorials.