Syn. Considerate; deliberate; contemplative; attentive; careful; wary; circumspect; reflective; discreet.
Thoughtful, Considerate. He who is habitually thoughtful rarely neglects his duty or his true interest; he
who is considerate pauses to reflect and guard himself against error. One who is not thoughtful by
nature, if he can be made considerate, will usually be guarded against serious mistakes. "He who is
thoughtful does not forget his duty; he who is considerate pauses, and considers properly what is his
duty. It is a recommendation to a subordinate person to be thoughtful in doing what is wished of him; it
is the recommendation of a confidential person to be considerate, as he has often to judge according to
his own discretion. Crabb.
Thought"ful*ly, adv. Thought"ful*ness, n.
1. Lacking thought; careless; inconsiderate; rash; as, a thoughtless person, or act.
2. Giddy; gay; dissipated. [R.] Johnson.
3. Deficient in reasoning power; stupid; dull.
Thoughtless as monarch oaks that shade the plain.Dryden.
Thought"less*ly, adv. Thought"less*ness, n.
(Thou"sand) n. [OE. þousend, þusend, AS. þusend; akin to OS. thusundig, thusind, OFries.
thusend, D. duizend, G. tausend, OHG. tusunt, dusunt, Icel. þusund, þushund, Sw. tusen, Dan.
tusind, Goth. þusundi, Lith. tukstantis, Russ. tuisiacha; of uncertain origin.]
1. The number of ten hundred; a collection or sum consisting of ten times one hundred units or objects.
2. Hence, indefinitely, a great number.
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand.Ps. xci. 7.
The word thousand often takes a plural form. See the Note under Hundred.
3. A symbol representing one thousand units; as, 1,000, M or CI&Crev;.
1. Consisting of ten hundred; being ten times one hundred.
2. Hence, consisting of a great number indefinitely. "Perplexed with a thousand cares." Shak.
(Thou"sand*fold`) a. Multiplied by a thousand.
(Thou"sand legs`) (Zoöl.) A millepid, or galleyworm; called also thousand-legged worm.
1. Next in order after nine hundred and ninty-nine; coming last of a thousand successive individuals or
units; the ordinal of thousand; as, the thousandth part of a thing.
2. Constituting, or being one of, a thousand equal parts into which anything is divided; the tenth of a
3. Occurring as being one of, or the last one of, a very great number; very small; minute; used hyperbolically; as,
to do a thing for the thousandth time.