(Ro*ta"tor) n. [L.]
1. (Anat.) that which gives a rotary or rolling motion, as a muscle which partially rotates or turns some
part on its axis.
2. (Metal.) A revolving reverberatory furnace.
(||Ro`ta*to"ri*a) n. pl. [NL.] (Zoöl.) Same as Rotifera.
(Ro"ta*to*ry) a. [Cf. F. rotatoire. See Rotate, Rotary.]
1. Turning as on an axis; rotary.
2. Going in a circle; following in rotation or succession; as, rotatory assembles. Burke.
3. (Opt.) Producing rotation of the plane of polarization; as, the rotatory power of bodies on light. See
the Note under polarization. Nichol.
(Ro"ta*to*ry), n. (Zoöl.) A rotifer. [R.] Kirby.
(Rotche) n. (Zoöl.) A very small arctic sea bird (Mergulus alle, or Alle alle) common on both
coasts of the Atlantic in winter; called also little auk, dovekie, rotch, rotchie, and sea dove.