Prohibiter to Proll
(Pro*hib"it*er) n. One who prohibits or forbids; a forbidder; an interdicter.
(Pro`hi*bi"tion) n. [L. prohibitio: cf. F. prohibition.]
1. The act of prohibiting; a declaration or injunction forbidding some action; interdict.
The law of God, in the ten commandments, consists mostly of prohibitions.Tillotson.
2. Specifically, the forbidding by law of the sale of alcoholic liquors as beverages.
Writ of prohibition (Law), a writ issued by a superior tribunal, directed to an inferior court, commanding
the latter to cease from the prosecution of a suit depending before it. Blackstone.
By ellipsis, prohibition is used for the writ itself.
1. One who favors prohibitory duties on foreign goods in commerce; a protectionist.
2. One who favors the prohibition of the sale (or of the sale and manufacture) of alcoholic liquors as
(Pro*hib"it*ive), a. [Cf. F. prohibitif.] That prohibits; prohibitory; as, a tax whose effect is
Prohibitory index. (R. C. Ch.) See under Index.
(Pro*hib"it*o*ry) a. [L. prohibitorius.] Tending to prohibit, forbid, or exclude; implying prohibition; forbidding; as,
a prohibitory law; a prohibitory price.
(Proin) v. t. [See Prune to trim.] To lop; to trim; to prune; to adorn. [Obs.] Chaucer.
The sprigs that did about it growChapman.
He proined from the leafy arms.
(Proin), v. i. To employed in pruning. [Obs.]
(Proj"ect) n. [OF. project, F. projet, fr. L. projectus, p. p. of projicere to project; pro forward +
jacere to throw. See Jet a shooting forth, and cf. Projet.]
1. The place from which a thing projects, or starts forth. [Obs.] Holland.
2. That which is projected or designed; something intended or devised; a scheme; a design; a plan.
Vented much policy, and projects deep.Milton.
Projects of happiness devised by human reason.Rogers.
He entered into the project with his customary ardor.Prescott.
3. An idle scheme; an impracticable design; as, a man given to projects.
Syn. Design; scheme; plan; purpose. Project, Design. A project is something of a practical nature
thrown out for consideration as to its being done. A design is a project when matured and settled, as a
thing to be accomplished. An ingenious man has many projects, but, if governed by sound sense, will
be slow in forming them into designs. See also Scheme.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.