Planispheric to Plasmatic
(Plan`i*spher"ic) a. Of or pertaining to a planisphere.
(Plank) n. [OE. planke, OF. planque, planche, F. planche, fr. L. planca; cf. Gr. anything flat
and broad. Cf. Planch.]
1. A broad piece of sawed timber, differing from a board only in being thicker. See Board.
2. Fig.: That which supports or upholds, as a board does a swimmer.
His charity is a better plank than the faith of an intolerant and bitter-minded bigot.Southey.
3. One of the separate articles in a declaration of the principles of a party or cause; as, a plank in the
national platform. [Cant]
Plank road, or Plank way, a road surface formed of planks. [U.S.] To walk the plank, to walk
along a plank laid across the bulwark of a ship, until one overbalances it and falls into the sea; a method
of disposing of captives practiced by pirates.
(Plank) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Planked ; p. pr. & vb. n. Planking.]
1. To cover or lay with planks; as, to plank a floor or a ship. "Planked with pine." Dryden.
2. To lay down, as on a plank or table; to stake or pay cash; as, to plank money in a wager. [Colloq.
3. To harden, as hat bodies, by felting.
4. (Wooden Manuf.) To splice together the ends of slivers of wool, for subsequent drawing.
Planked shad, shad split open, fastened to a plank, and roasted before a wood fire.
1. The act of laying planks; also, planks, collectively; a series of planks in place, as the wooden covering
of the frame of a vessel.
2. The act of splicing slivers. See Plank, v. t., 4.
(Plank"-sheer`) n. (Shipbuilding) The course of plank laid horizontally over the timberheads
of a vessel's frame.
(Plan"less) a. Having no plan.
(Plan"ner) n. One who plans; a projector.
(Pla"no-) See Plani-.
(Plan"o*blast) n. [Gr. to wander + -blast.] (Zoöl.) Any free-swimming gonophore of a hydroid; a
(Pla"no-con"cave) a. [Plano- + concave.] Plane or flat on one side, and concave on
the other; as, a plano-concave lens. See Lens.
(Pla"no-con"ic*al) a. [Plano- + conical.] Plane or flat on one side, and conical on the
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.