1. A phrase or idiom peculiar to the Italian language; to Italianism.
2. The use of Italics.
(I*tal"i*cize) v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Italicized ; p. pr. & vb. n. Italicizing ] To print in Italic
characters; to underline written letters or words with a single line; as, to Italicize a word; Italicizes too
(I"ta palm`) (Bot.) A magnificent species of palm growing near the Orinoco. The natives eat its
fruit and buds, drink its sap, and make thread and cord from its fiber.
(Itch) v. i. [imp. & p. p. Itched (icht); p. pr. & vb. n. Itching.] [OE. icchen, &yoghicchen, AS.
giccan; akin to D. jeuken, joken, G. jucken, OHG. jucchen.]
1. To have an uneasy sensation in the skin, which inclines the person to scratch the part affected.
My mouth hath itched all this long day.Chaucer.
2. To have a constant desire or teasing uneasiness; to long for; as, itching ears. "An itching palm."
1. (Med.) An eruption of small, isolated, acuminated vesicles, produced by the entrance of a parasitic
mite (the Sarcoptes scabei), and attended with itching. It is transmissible by contact.
2. Any itching eruption.
3. A sensation in the skin occasioned (or resembling that occasioned) by the itch eruption; called also
scabies, psora, etc.
4. A constant irritating desire.
An itch of being thought a divine king.Dryden. Baker's itch. See under Baker. - - Barber's itch, sycosis. Bricklayer's itch, an eczema of the
hands attended with much itching, occurring among bricklayers. Grocer's itch, an itching eruption,
being a variety of eczema, produced by the sugar mite (Tyrogluphus sacchari). Itch insect (Zoöl.), a
small parasitic mite (Sarcoptes scabei) which burrows and breeds beneath the human skin, thus causing
the disease known as the itch. See Illust. in Append. Itch mite. (Zoöl.) Same as Itch insect, above.
Also, other similar mites affecting the lower animals, as the horse and ox. Sugar baker's itch, a
variety of eczema, due to the action of sugar upon the skin. Washerwoman's itch, eczema of the
hands and arms, occurring among washerwomen.
(Itch"i*ness) n. The state of being itchy.
(Itch"less), a. Free from itching.
(Itch"y) a. Infected with the itch, or with an itching sensation. Cowper.
(-ite) [From Gr. .]
1. A suffix denoting one of a party, a sympathizer with or adherent of, and the like, and frequently
used in ridicule; as, a Millerite; a Benthamite.