2. Deranged in mind; out of one's senses. [Obs.]
These poor informal women.Shak.
(In`for*mal"i*ty) n.; pl. Informalities
1. The state of being informal; want of regular, prescribed, or customary form; as, the informality of legal
2. An informal, unconventional, or unofficial act or proceeding; something which is not in proper or prescribed
form or does not conform to the established rule.
(In*form"al*ly) adv. In an informal manner.
(In*form"ant) n. [L. informans, -antis, p. pr. of informare. See Inform, v. t.]
1. One who, or that which, informs, animates, or vivifies. [Obs.] Glanvill.
2. One who imparts information or instruction.
3. One who offers an accusation; an informer. See Informer. [Obs. or R.]
It was the last evidence of the kind; the informantBurke.
(In`for*ma"tion) n. [F., fr. L. informatio representation, conception. See Inform, v. t.]
1. The act of informing, or communicating knowledge or intelligence.
The active informations of the intellect.South.
2. News, advice, or knowledge, communicated by others or obtained by personal study and investigation; intelligence; knowledge
derived from reading, observation, or instruction.
Larger opportunities of information.Rogers.
He should get some information in the subject he intends to handle.Swift.
3. (Law) A proceeding in the nature of a prosecution for some offense against the government, instituted
and prosecuted, really or nominally, by some authorized public officer on behalf of the government. It
differs from an indictment in criminal cases chiefly in not being based on the finding of a grand jury. See
(In*form"a*tive) a. Having power to inform, animate, or vivify. Dr. H. More.
(In*form"a*to*ry) a. Full of, or conveying, information; instructive. [R.] London Spectator.
Informed stars. See under Unformed.
(In*formed") a. Unformed or ill-formed; deformed; shapeless. [Obs.] Spenser.
(In*form"er) n. [From Inform, v.]
1. One who informs, animates, or inspires. [Obs.] Thomson.
Nature, informer of the poet's art.Pope.
2. One who informs, or imparts knowledge or news.