(Folk"land`) n. [AS. folcland.] (O.Eng. Law) Land held in villenage, being distributed among
the folk, or people, at the pleasure of the lord of the manor, and resumed at his discretion. Not being
held by any assurance in writing, it was opposed to bookland or charter land, which was held by deed.
Mozley & W.
(Folk"lore`) n., or Folk" lore`. Tales, legends, or superstitions long current among the people.
(Folk"mote`) n. [AS. folcmot folk meeting.] An assembly of the people; esp. (Sax. Law), a
general assembly of the people to consider and order matters of the commonwealth; also, a local court.
To which folkmote they all with one consentSpenser.
Agreed to travel.
(Folk"mot`er) n. One who takes part in a folkmote, or local court. [Obs.] Milton.
(Fol"li*cle) n. [L. folliculus a small bag, husk, pod, dim of follis bellows, an inflated ball, a leathern
money bag, perh. akin to E. bellows: cf. F. follicule. Cf. 2d Fool.]
1. (Bot.) A simple podlike pericarp which contains several seeds and opens along the inner or ventral
suture, as in the peony, larkspur and milkweed.
2. (Anat.) (a) A small cavity, tubular depression, or sac; as, a hair follicle. (b) A simple gland or glandular
cavity; a crypt. (c) A small mass of adenoid tissue; as, a lymphatic follicle.
1. Like, pertaining to, or consisting of, a follicles or follicles.
2. (Med.) Affecting the follicles; as, follicular pharyngitis.
(Fol*lic"u*la`ted) a. Having follicles.
(Fol*lic"u*lous) a. [L. folliculosus full of husks: cf. F. folliculeux.] Having or producing
(Fol"li*ful) a. Full of folly. [Obs.]
(Fol"low) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Followed ; p. pr. & vb. n. Following.][OE. foluwen, folwen,
folgen, AS. folgian, fylgean, fylgan; akin to D. volgen, OHG. folgn, G. folgen, Icel. fylgja, Sw. följa,
Dan. fölge, and perh. to E. folk.]
1. To go or come after; to move behind in the same path or direction; hence, to go with (a leader, guide,
etc.); to accompany; to attend.
It waves me forth again; I'll follow it.Shak.
2. To endeavor to overtake; to go in pursuit of; to chase; to pursue; to prosecute.
I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they shall follow them.Ex. xiv. 17.