4. (Mach.) The part of a machine that receives motion from another part. See Driver.
5. Among law stationers, a sheet of parchment or paper which is added to the first sheet of an indenture
or other deed.
Syn. Imitator; copier; disciple; adherent; partisan; dependent; attendant.
1. One's followers, adherents, or dependents, collectively. Macaulay.
2. Vocation; business; profession.
1. Next after; succeeding; ensuing; as, the assembly was held on the following day.
2. (Astron.) (In the field of a telescope) In the direction from which stars are apparently moving (in
consequence of the earth's rotation); as, a small star, north following or south following. In the direction
toward which stars appear to move is called preceding.
The four principal directions in the field of a telescope are north, south, following, preceding.