Feeding to Fell
1. the act of eating, or of supplying with food; the process of fattening.
2. That which is eaten; food.
3. That which furnishes or affords food, especially for animals; pasture land.
Feeding bottle. See under Bottle.
(Fee`-faw`-fum") n. A nonsensical exclamation attributed to giants and ogres; hence, any
expression calculated to impose upon the timid and ignorant. "Impudent fee-faw-fums." J. H. Newman.
(Fee"jee) a. & n. (Ethnol.) See Fijian.
(Feel) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Felt (felt); p. pr. & vb. n. Feeling.] [AS. felan; akin to OS. gifolian to
perceive, D. voelen to feel, OHG. fuolen, G. fühlen, Icel. falma to grope, and prob. to AS. folm palm
of the hand, L. palma. Cf. Fumble, Palm.]
1. To perceive by the touch; to take cognizance of by means of the nerves of sensation distributed all
over the body, especially by those of the skin; to have sensation excited by contact of (a thing) with the
body or limbs.
Those rods of scorpions and those whips of steel.
2. To touch; to handle; to examine by touching; as, feel this piece of silk; hence, to make trial of; to test; often
Come near, . . . that I may feel thee, my son.Gen. xxvii. 21.
He hath this to feel my affection to your honor.Shak.
3. To perceive by the mind; to have a sense of; to experience; to be affected by; to be sensible of, or sensitive
to; as, to feel pleasure; to feel pain.
Teach me to feel another's woe.Pope.
Whoso keepeth the commandment shall feel no evil thing.Eccl. viii. 5.
He best can paint them who shall feel them most.Pope.
Mankind have felt their strength and made it felt.Byron.
4. To take internal cognizance of; to be conscious of; to have an inward persuasion of.
For then, and not till then, he felt himself.Shak.
5. To perceive; to observe. [Obs.] Chaucer.
To feel the helm (Naut.), to obey it.
(Feel) v. i.
1. To have perception by the touch, or by contact of anything with the nerves of sensation, especially
those upon the surface of the body.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.