2. To have the sensibilities moved or affected.
[She] feels with the dignity of a Roman matron. Burke.
And mine as man, who feel for all mankind.Pope.
3. To be conscious of an inward impression, state of mind, persuasion, physical condition, etc.; to perceive
one's self to be; followed by an adjective describing the state, etc.; as, to feel assured, grieved, persuaded.
I then did feel full sick.Shak.
4. To know with feeling; to be conscious; hence, to know certainly or without misgiving.
Garlands . . . which I feelShak.
I am not worthy yet to wear.
5. To appear to the touch; to give a perception; to produce an impression by the nerves of sensation;
followed by an adjective describing the kind of sensation.
Blind men say black feels rough, and white feels smooth.Dryden. To feel after, to search for; to seek to find; to seek as a person groping in the dark. "If haply they might
feel after him, and find him." Acts xvii. 27.
To feel of, to examine by touching.
1. Feeling; perception. [R.]
To intercept and have a more kindly feel of its genial warmth.Hazlitt.
2. A sensation communicated by touching; impression made upon one who touches or handles; as, this
leather has a greasy feel.
The difference between these two tumors will be distinguished by the feel.S. Sharp.
1. One who, or that which, feels.
2. (Zoöl.) One of the sense organs or certain animals which are used in testing objects by touch and in
searching for food; an antenna; a palp.
Insects . . . perpetually feeling and searching before them with their feelers or antennæ.Derham.
3. Anything, as a proposal, observation, etc., put forth or thrown out in order to ascertain the views of
others; something tentative.
1. Possessing great sensibility; easily affected or moved; as, a feeling heart.
2. Expressive of great sensibility; attended by, or evincing, sensibility; as, he made a feeling representation
of his wrongs.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.