(||Di`ver`tisse`ment") n. [F.] A short ballet, or other entertainment, between the acts of a
(Di*vert"ive) a. [From Divert.] Tending to divert; diverting; amusing; interesting.
Things of a pleasant and divertive nature.Rogers.
(Di"ves) n. [L., rich.] The name popularly given to the rich man in our Lord's parable of the "Rich
Man and Lazarus" Hence, a name for a rich worldling.
(Di*vest") v. t. [imp. & p. p. Divested; p. pr. & vb. n. Divesting.] [LL. divestire (di- = dis- +
L. vestire to dress), equiv. to L. devestire. It is the same word as devest, but the latter is rarely used
except as a technical term in law. See Devest, Vest.]
1. To unclothe; to strip, as of clothes, arms, or equipage; opposed to invest.
2. Fig.: To strip; to deprive; to dispossess; as, to divest one of his rights or privileges; to divest one's self
of prejudices, passions, etc.
Wretches divested of every moral feeling.Goldsmith.
The tendency of the language to divest itself of its gutturals.Earle.
3. (Law) See Devest. Mozley & W.
(Di*vest"i*ble) a. Capable of being divested.
(Di*vest"i*ture) n. The act of stripping, or depriving; the state of being divested; the deprivation,
or surrender, of possession of property, rights, etc.
(Di*vest"ment) n. The act of divesting. [R.]
(Di*ves"ture) n. Divestiture. [Obs.]
(Div"et) n. See Divot.
(Di*vid"a*ble) a. [From Divide.]
1. Capable of being divided; divisible.
2. Divided; separated; parted. [Obs.] Shak.
(Di*vid"ant) a. Different; distinct. [Obs.] Shak.
(Di*vide") v. t. [imp. & p. p. Divided; p. pr. & vb. n. Dividing.] [L. dividere, divisum; di- =
dis- + root signifying to part; cf. Skr. vyadh to pierce; perh. akin to L. vidua widow, and E. widow. Cf.
1. To part asunder (a whole); to sever into two or more parts or pieces; to sunder; to separate into parts.
Divide the living child in two.1 Kings iii. 25.
2. To cause to be separate; to keep apart by a partition, or by an imaginary line or limit; as, a wall divides
two houses; a stream divides the towns.
Let it divide the waters from the waters.Gen. i. 6.