1. Receding farther and farther from each other, as lines radiating from one point; deviating gradually
from a given direction; opposed to convergent.
2. (Optics) Causing divergence of rays; as, a divergent lens.
3. Fig.: Disagreeing from something given; differing; as, a divergent statement.
Divergent series. (Math.) See Diverging series, under Diverging.
Diverging series (Math.), a series whose terms are larger as the series is extended; a series the sum
of whose terms does not approach a finite limit when the series is extended indefinitely; opposed to a
(Di*ver"ging), a. Tending in different directions from a common center; spreading apart; divergent.
(Di*ver"ging*ly) adv. In a diverging manner.
(Di"vers) a. [F. divers, L. diversus turned in different directions, different, p. p. of divertere.
See Divert, and cf. Diverse.]
1. Different in kind or species; diverse. [Obs.]
Every sect of them hath a divers posture.Bacon.
Thou shalt not sow thy vineyard with divers seeds.Deut. xxii. 9.
2. Several; sundry; various; more than one, but not a great number; as, divers philosophers. Also used
substantively or pronominally.
Divers of Antonio's creditors.Shak.
Divers is now limited to the plural; as, divers ways Besides plurality it ordinarily implies variety of kind.
(Di"verse) a. [The same word as divers. See Divers.]
1. Different; unlike; dissimilar; distinct; separate.
The word . . . is used in a sense very diverse from its original import.J. Edwards.
Our roads are diverse: farewell, love! said she.R. Browning.
2. Capable of various forms; multiform.
Eloquence is a great and diverse thing.B. Jonson.
(Di*verse") adv. In different directions; diversely.
(di*verse") v. i. To turn aside. [Obs.]
The redcross knight diverst, but forth rode Britomart.Spenser.
1. In different ways; differently; variously. "Diversely interpreted." Bacon.
How diversely love doth his pageants play.Spenser.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.