(Con*ven"a*ble) a. Capable of being convened or assembled.
(Con"ve*na*ble) a. [F. convenable, fr. convenir. See Convene.] Consistent; accordant; suitable; proper; as,
convenable remedies. [Obs.]
With his wod his work is convenable.
(Con"ve*nance) n. [F., fitness, suitableness.] That which is suitable, agreeable, or convenient.
And they missed
Their wonted convenance, cheerly hid the loss.
(Con*vene") v. i. [imp. & p. p. Convened ; p. pr. & vb. n. Convenong.] [L. convenire;
con- + venire to come: cf. F. convenir to agree, to be fitting, OF. also, to assemble. See Come, and cf.
1. To come together; to meet; to unite. [R.]
In shortsighted men . . . the rays converge and convene in the eyes before they come at the bottom.
2. To come together, as in one body or for a public purpose; to meet; to assemble. Locke.
The Parliament of Scotland now convened.
Sir R. Baker.
Faint, underneath, the household fowls convene.
Syn. To meet; to assemble; to congregate; to collect; to unite.
(Con*vene"), v. t.
1. To cause to assemble; to call together; to convoke.
And now the almighty father of the gods
Convenes a council in the blest abodes.
2. To summon judicially to meet or appear.
By the papal canon law, clerks . . . can not be convened before any but an ecclesiastical judge.
1. One who convenes or meets with others. [Obs.]
2. One who calls an assembly together or convenes a meeting; hence, the chairman of a committee or
other organized body. [Scot.]
(Con*ven"ience Con*ven"ien*cy) , n. [L. convenientia agreement, fitness. See Convenient.]
1. The state or quality of being convenient; fitness or suitableness, as of place, time, etc.; propriety.
Let's further think of this;
Weigh what convenience both of time and means
May fit us to our shape.
With all brief and plain conveniency,
Let me have judgment.
2. Freedom from discomfort, difficulty, or trouble; commodiousness; ease; accommodation.
Thus necessity invented stools,
Convenience next suggested elbow chairs.
We are rather intent upon the end of God's glory than our own conveniency.