(Ca*lyc"i*nal Cal"y*cine) a. (Bot.) Pertaining to a calyx; having the nature of a calyx.

(Cal"y*cle) n. [L. calyculus small flower bud, calyx, dim. of calyx. See Calyx, and cf. Calicle.] (Bot.) A row of small bracts, at the base of the calyx, on the outside.

(Cal"y*cled) a. (Bot.) Calyculate.

(||Cal`y*co*zo"a) n. pl. [NL., fr. Gr. cup or calyx a flower + animal.] (Zoöl.) A group of acalephs of which Lucernaria is the type. The body is cup-shaped with eight marginal lobes bearing clavate tentacles. An aboral sucker serves for attachment. The interior is divided into four large compartments. See Lucernarida.

(Ca*lyc"u*lar) a. (Bot.) Pertaining to, or resembling, the bracts of a calycle.

(Ca*lyc"u*late Ca*lyc"u*la`ted) , a. (Bot.) Having a set of bracts resembling a calyx.

(Ca*lym"e*ne) n. [Gr. concealed, p. p. of to conceal.] (Zoöl.) A genus of trilobites characteristic of the Silurian age.

(Cal"yon) n. Flint or pebble stone, used in building walls, etc. Haliwell.

(Ca*lyp"so) n. [The Latinized Greek name of a beautiful nymph.] (Bot.) A small and beautiful species of orchid, having a flower variegated with purple, pink, and yellow. It grows in cold and wet localities in the northern part of the United States. The Calypso borealis is the only orchid which reaches 68° N.

(Ca*lyp"tra) n. [NL., fr. Gr. kaly`ptra a covering for the head, fr. kaly`ptein to cover.] (Bot.) A little hood or veil, resembling an extinguisher in form and position, covering each of the small flasklike capsules which contain the spores of mosses; also, any similar covering body.

(Ca*lyp"tri*form) a. [Calyptra + -form.] Having the form a calyptra, or extinguisher.

(Ca"lyx) n.; pl. E. Calyxes L. Calyces [L. calyx, -ycis, fr. Gr. ka`lyx husk, shell, calyx, from the root of kaly`ptein to cover, conceal. Cf. Chalice Helmet.]

1. (Bot.) The covering of a flower. See Flower.

The calyx is usually green and foliaceous, but becomes delicate and petaloid in such flowers as the anemone and the four-o'clock. Each leaf of the calyx is called a sepal.

2. (Anat.) A cuplike division of the pelvis of the kidney, which surrounds one or more of the renal papillæ.

(Cal*zoons") n. pl. [F. caleçons (cf. It. calzoni breeches), fr. L. calceus shoe.] Drawers. [Obs.]

(Cam) n. [Dan. kam comb, ridge; or cf. W., Gael., and Ir., cam bent. See 1st Comb.]

1. (Med.) (a) A turning or sliding piece which, by the shape of its periphery or face, or a groove in its surface, imparts variable or intermittent motion to, or receives such motion from, a rod, lever, or block brought into sliding or rolling contact with it. (b) A curved wedge, movable about an axis, used for forcing or clamping two pieces together. (c) A projecting part of a wheel or other moving piece so shaped as to give alternate or variable motion to another piece against which it acts.

Cams are much used in machinery involving complicated, and irregular movements, as in the sewing machine, pin machine, etc.

2. A ridge or mound of earth. [Prow. Eng.] Wright.

  By PanEris using Melati.

Previous chapter/page Back Home Email this Search Discuss Bookmark Next chapter/page
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Ltd, and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission. See our FAQ for more details.