2. Left after the departure of, whether this be by removing to a distance or by death.
A small part of what he left behind him.
3. Left a distance by, in progress of improvement Hence: Inferior to in dignity, rank, knowledge, or excellence,
or in any achievement.
I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles.
2 Cor. xi. 5.
1. At the back part; in the rear. "I shall not lag behind." Milton.
2. Toward the back part or rear; backward; as, to look behind.
3. Not yet brought forward, produced, or exhibited to view; out of sight; remaining.
We can not be sure that there is no evidence behind.
4. Backward in time or order of succession; past.
Forgetting those things which are behind.
Phil. ii. 13.
5. After the departure of another; as, to stay behind.
Leave not a rack behind.
(Be*hind"), n. The backside; the rump. [Low]
(Be*hind"hand`) adv. & a. [Behind + hand.]
1. In arrears financially; in a state where expenditures have exceeded the receipt of funds.
2. In a state of backwardness, in respect to what is seasonable or appropriate, or as to what should
have been accomplished; not equally forward with some other person or thing; dilatory; backward; late; tardy; as,
behindhand in studies or in work.
In this also [dress] the country are very much behindhand.
(Be*hith"er) prep. On this side of. [Obs.]
Two miles behither Clifden.
(Be*hold") v. t. [imp. & p. p. Beheld (p. p. formerly Beholden now used only as a p. a.); p.
pr. & vb. n. Beholding.] [OE. bihalden, biholden, AS. behealdan to hold, have in sight; pref. be- +
healdan to hold, keep; akin to G. behalten to hold, keep. See Hold.] To have in sight; to see clearly; to
look at; to regard with the eyes.
When he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.
Num. xxi. 9.
Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
John. i. 29.
Syn. To scan; gaze; regard; descry; view; discern.
(Be*hold"), v. i. To direct the eyes to, or fix them upon, an object; to look; to see.
And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne, . . . a lamb as it had been slain.
Rev. v. 6.