Weary-all Hill to Wellborn
Weary-all Hill, above Glastonbury, to the left of Tor Hill. This spot is the traditional landing-place of Joseph of Arimathæa; and here is the site (marked by a stone bearing the letters A. I. A.D. XXXI.) of the holy thorn.
When the saint arrived at Glastonbury, weary with his long journey, he stuck his staff into the ground, and the staff became the famous thorn, the site being called Weary-all Hill.
Weatherport (Captain), a naval officer.Sir W. Scott: The Pirate (time, William III.).
Weaver-Poet of Inverurie (The), William Thom (17991850).
Weazel (Timothy), attorney-at-law at Lestwithiel, employed as the agent of Penruddock.Cumberland: The Wheel of Fortune (1778).
Web in a Millet Seed (The), This was a web wrapped in a millet seed. It was 400 yards long, and on it were painted all sorts of birds, beasts, and fishes; fruits, trees, and plants; rocks and shells; the sun, moon, and stars; the likenesses of all the kings and queens of the earth, and many other curious devices.
The prince took out of a ruby box a walnut, which he cracked, and saw inside it a small hazel nut, which he cracked also, and found inside a kernel of wax. He peeled the kernel, and discovered a corn of wheat, and in the wheat a grain of millet, which contained the web.Comtesse DAulnoy: Fairy Tales (The White Cat, 1682).
Wedding. The fifth anniversary is the Wooden Wedding, because on that occasion the suitable offerings to the wife are knick-knacks made of wood.
The fifteenth is the Copper Wedding, and all gifts are to be of copper.
The twenty-fifth anniversary is called the Silver Wedding, because the woman on this occasion should be presented with a silver wreath.
The fiftieth anniversary is called the Golden Wedding, because the wreath or flowers presented should be made of gold. In Germany, the marriage ceremony was repeated on the fiftieth anniversary. In 1879 William, king of Prussia and German emperor, celebrated his golden wedding.
The seventy-fifth anniversary is called the Diamond Wedding, because the correct present to the wife of such a standing would be a diamond. This period is shortened into the sixtieth anniversary.
Mr. T. Morgan Owen, of Bronwylfa, Rhyl, says there are in Llannefydd churchyard, near Denbigh, the two following inscriptions:
(1) Iohn and Elin Owen, married 1579, died 1659. Announced thus
whom one nuptial bed did containe for 80 years do here remaine. Here lieth the body of Elin, wife of Iohn Owen, who died the 25 day of March, 1659. Here lieth the body of Iohn Owen, who died the 23 day of August, 1659.
(2) Katherine and Edward Iones, married 1638, died 1708. Announced thus
They lived amicably together in matrimony 70 years. Here lyeth the body of Katherine Davies, the wife of Edward Iones, who was buried the 27 day of May, 1708, aged 91 years. Here the body of Edward Iones, son of Iohn-ap-David, Gent., lyeth, who was buried the 14 day of May, 1708, aged 91 years.Times, July 4, 1879 (weekly edition).
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.