Nameless to Nares
1. Without a name; not having been given a name; as, a nameless star. Waller.
2. Undistinguished; not noted or famous.
A nameless dwelling and an unknown name.Harte.
3. Not known or mentioned by name; anonymous; as, a nameless writer."Nameless pens." Atterbury.
4. Unnamable; indescribable; inexpressible.
But what it is, that is not yet known; whatShak.
I can not name; t is nameless woe,I wot.
I have a nameless horror of the man.Hawthorne.
(Name"less*ly), adv. In a nameless manner.
1. By name; by particular mention; specifically; especially; expressly. [Obs.] Chaucer.
The solitariness of man . . . God hath namely and principally ordered to prevent by marriage.Milton.
2. That is to say; to wit; videlicet; introducing a particular or specific designation.
For the excellency of the soul, namely, its power of divining dreams; that several such divinations have
been made, none an question.Addison.
(Nam"er) n. One who names, or calls by name.
(Name"sake`) n. [For name's sake; i. e., one named for the sake of another's name.] One
that has the same name as another; especially, one called after, or named out of regard to, another.
(Na*mo") adv. No more. [Obs.] Chaucer.
(Nan) interj. [For anan.] Anan. [Prov. Eng.]
(Nan"dine) n. [Native name.] (Zoöl.) An African carnivore (Nandinia binotata), allied to the
civets. It is spotted with black.
(Nan"dou Nan"du) n. [Braz. nhandu or yandu.] (Zoöl.) Any one of three species of South
American ostriches of the genera Rhea and Pterocnemia. See Rhea. [Written also nandow.]
(Nan*keen") n. [So called from its being originally manufactured at Nankin, in China.] [Written
1. A species of cloth, of a firm texture, originally brought from China, made of a species of cotton (Gossypium
religiosum) that is naturally of a brownish yellow color quite indestructible and permanent.
2. An imitation of this cloth by artificial coloring.
3. pl. Trousers made of nankeen. Ld. Lytton.
Nankeen bird (Zoöl.), the Australian night heron (Nycticorax Caledonicus); called also quaker.
(Nan"ny) n. A diminutive of Ann or Anne, the proper name.