1. To cut off as the top or extreme part of anything; to shoorten by cutting off the extremities; to cut off,
or remove, as superfluous parts; as, to lop a tree or its branches. "With branches lopped, in wood or
mountain felled." Milton.
Expunge the whole, or lop the excrescent parts.Pope.
2. To cut partly off and bend down; as, to lop bushes in a hedge.
(Lop), n. That which is lopped from anything, as branches from a tree. Shak. Mortimer.
(Lop), v. i. To hang downward; to be pendent; to lean to one side.
(Lop), v. t. To let hang down; as, to lop the head.
(Lop), a. Hanging down; as, lop ears; used also in compound adjectives; as, lopeared; lopsided.
(Lope) imp. of Leap. [Obs.]
And, laughing, lope into a tree. Spenser.
(Lope), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Loped ; p. pr. & vb. n. Loping.] [See Leap.]
1. To leap; to dance. [Prov. Eng.] "He that lopes on the ropes." Middleton.
2. To move with a lope, as a horse. [U.S.]
1. A leap; a long step. [Prov. Eng.]
2. An easy gait, consisting of long running strides or leaps. [U.S.]
The mustang goes rollicking ahead, with the eternal lope, . . . a mixture of two or three gaits, as easy
as the motions of a cradle.T. B. Thorpe.
(Lop"eared`) a. Having ears which lop or hang down.
(Lope"man) n. Leaper; ropedancer. [Obs.]
1. One who, or that which, lopes; esp., a horse that lopes. [U.S.]
2. (Rope Making) A swivel at one end of a ropewalk, used in laying the strands.
(Loph"ine) n. [Gr. a tuft or crest of feathers.] (Chem.) A nitrogenous organic base obtained
by the oxidation of amarine, and regarded as a derivative of benzoic aldehyde. It is obtained in long
white crystalline tufts, whence its name.
(||Lo*phi"o*mys) n. [NL., fr. Gr. lofia` a mane, bristly ridge + my^s a mouse.] (Zoöl.) A
very singular rodent (Lophiomys Imhausi) of Northeastern Africa. It is the only known representative of
a special family remarkable for the structure of the skull. It has handlike feet, and the hair is peculiar in
structure and arrangement.
(Loph"o*branch) a. [Gr. lofia` crest or tuft + bra`gchion gill.] (Zoöl.) Of or pertaining to
the Lophobranchii. n. One of the Lophobranchii.