4. To unite closely; to connect; to engage; as, hearts knit together in love.
Thy merit hath my duty strongly knit.Shak.
Come , knit hands, and beat the ground,Milton.
In a light fantastic round.
A link among the days, toknitTennyson.
The generations each to each.
5. To draw together; to contract into wrinkles.
He knits his brow and shows an angry eye.Shak.
(Knit), v. i.
1. To form a fabric by interlacing yarn or thread; to weave by making knots or loops.
2. To be united closely; to grow together; as, broken bones will in time knit and become sound.
To knit up, to wind up; to conclude; to come to a close. "It remaineth to knit up briefly with the nature
and compass of the seas." [Obs.] Holland.
(Knit), n. Union knitting; texture. Shak.
(Knit"back`) n. (Bot.) The plant comfrey; so called from its use as a restorative. Dr. Prier.
(Knitch Knitch"et) n. [Cf. Knit.] A number of things tied or knit together; a bundle; a fagot. [Obs.
or Prov. Eng.] Halliwell.
When they [stems of asphodel] be dried, they ought to be made up into knitchets, or handfuls.Holland.
(Knits) n. pl. [Prob. same word as nit a louse's egg.] (Mining) Small particles of ore. Raymond.
(Knit"ster) n. A woman who knits. [Prov. Eng.] Halliwell.
(Knit"ter) n. One who, or that which, knits, joins, or unites; a knitting machine. Shak.
1. The work of a knitter; the network formed by knitting.
2. Union formed by knitting, as of bones.
Knitting machine, one of a number of contrivances for mechanically knitting stockings, jerseys, and
the like. Knitting eedle, a stiff rod, as of steel wire, with rounded ends for knitting yarn or threads
into a fabric, as in stockings. Knitting sheath, a sheath to receive the end of a needle in knitting.
(Knit"tle) n. [From Knit.]
1. A string that draws together a purse or bag. [Prov. Eng.] Wright.
2. pl. (Naut.) See Nettles.
(Knives) n. pl. of Knife. See Knife.
(Knob) n. [A modification of knop. Cf. Nob.]
1. A hard protuberance; a hard swelling or rising; a bunch; a lump; as, a knob in the flesh, or on a bone.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.