Horse-radish to Hot
Horse-radish tree. (Bot.) See Moringa.
(Horse"-rad`ish) n. (Bot.) A plant of the genus Nasturtium allied to scurvy grass, having
a root of a pungent taste, much used, when grated, as a condiment and in medicine. Gray.
(Horse"rake`) n. A rake drawn by a horse.
1. A shoe for horses, consisting of a narrow plate of iron in form somewhat like the letter U, nailed to a
2. Anything shaped like a horsehoe.
3. (Zoöl.) The Limulus or horsehoe crab.
Horsehoe head (Med.), an old name for the condition of the skull in children, in which the sutures are
too open, the coronal suture presenting the form of a horsehoe. Dunglison. Horsehoe magnet,
an artificial magnet in the form of a horsehoe. Horsehoe nail. See Horsenail. Horsehoe nose
(Zoöl.), a bat of the genus Rhinolophus, having a nasal fold of skin shaped like a horsehoe.
(Horse"shoe`ing) n. The act or employment of shoeing horses.
(Horse"sho`er) n. One who shoes horses.
1. (Bot.) A leafless plant, with hollow and rushlike stems. It is of the genus Equisetum, and is allied to
the ferns. See Illust. of Equisetum.
2. A Turkish standard, denoting rank.
Commanders are distinguished by the number of horsetails carried before them. Thus, the sultan has
seven, the grand vizier five, and the pashas three, two, or one.
Shrubby horsetail. (Bot.) See Joint-fir.
(Horse"weed`) n. (Bot.) A composite plant which is a common weed.
(Horse"whip`) n. A whip for horses.
(Horse"whip`), v. t. To flog or chastise with a horsewhip.
(Horse"wom`an) n.; pl. Horsewomen A woman who rides on horseback.
(Horse"wood`) n. (Bot.) A West Indian tree (Calliandra latifolia) with showy, crimson blossoms.
(Horse"worm`) n. The larva of a botfly.
1. The condition or quality of being a horse; that which pertains to a horse. Tennyson.
2. Fondness for, or interest in, horses.
(Hors"ly) a. Horselike. [Obs.] Chaucer.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.