1. The pavement or floor of brick, stone, or metal in a chimney, on which a fire is made; the floor of a
fireplace; also, a corresponding part of a stove.
There was a fire on the hearth burning before him.Jer. xxxvi. 22.
Where fires thou find'st unraked and hearths unswept.Shak.
There pinch the maids as blue as bilberry.
2. The house itself, as the abode of comfort to its inmates and of hospitality to strangers; fireside.
Household talk and phrases of the hearth.Tennyson.
3. (Metal. & Manuf.) The floor of a furnace, on which the material to be heated lies, or the lowest part
of a melting furnace, into which the melted material settles.
Hearth ends (Metal.), fragments of lead ore ejected from the furnace by the blast. Hearth money,
Hearth penny [AS. heorðpening], a tax formerly laid in England on hearths, each hearth (in all houses
paying the church and poor rates) being taxed at two shillings; called also chimney money, etc.
He had been importuned by the common people to relieve them from the . . . burden of the hearth
(Hearth"stone`) n. Stone forming the hearth; hence, the fireside; home.
Chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone.A. Lincoln.
(Heart"i*ly) adv. [From Hearty.]
1. From the heart; with all the heart; with sincerity.
I heartily forgive them.Shak.
2. With zeal; actively; vigorously; willingly; cordially; as, he heartily assisted the prince.
To eat heartily, to eat freely and with relish. Addison.
Syn. Sincerely; cordially; zealously; vigorously; actively; warmly; eagerly; ardently; earnestly.
(Heart"i*ness) n. The quality of being hearty; as, the heartiness of a greeting.
1. Without a heart.
You have left me heartless; mine is in your bosom.J. Webster.
2. Destitute of courage; spiritless; despondent.
Heartless they fought, and quitted soon their ground.Dryden.
Heartless and melancholy.W. Irwing.
3. Destitute of feeling or affection; unsympathetic; cruel. "The heartless parasites." Byron.
Heart"less*ly, adv. Heart"less*ness, n.
(Heart"let) n. A little heart.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.