Floss silk, silk that has been twisted, and which retains its loose and downy character. It is much used in embroidery. Called also floxed silk.Floss thread, a kind of soft flaxen yarn or thread, used for embroidery; — called also linen floss, and floss yarn. McElrath.

(Floss), n. [Cf. G. floss a float.]

1. A small stream of water. [Eng.]

2. Fluid glass floating on iron in the puddling furnace, produced by the vitrification of oxides and earths which are present.

Floss hole. (a) A hole at the back of a puddling furnace, at which the slags pass out. (b) The tap hole of a melting furnace. Knight.

(Flos`si*fi*ca"tion) n. [Cf. Florification.] A flowering; florification. [R.] Craig.

(Floss"y) a. Pertaining to, made of, or resembling, floss; hence, light; downy.

(||Flo"ta) n. [Sp. See Flotilla.] A fleet; especially, a eet of Spanish ships which formerly sailed every year from Cadiz to Vera Cruz, in Mexico, to transport to Spain the production of Spanish America.

(Flo"tage) n. [OF. flotage, F. flottage, fr. flotter to float.]

1. The state of floating.

2. That which floats on the sea or in rivers. [Written also floatage.]

(Flo"tant) a. [OF. flotant, F. flottant, p. pr. of flotter to float.] (Her.) Represented as flying or streaming in the air; as, a banner flotant.

(Flo*ta"tion) n. [Cf. F. flottation a floating, flottaison water line, fr. flotter to float. See Flotilla.]

1. The act, process, or state of floating.

(Flor"u*lent) a. [L. florulentus, fr. flos, floris, flower.] Flowery; blossoming. [Obs.] Blount.

(Flos"cu*lar) a. (Bot.) Flosculous.

(Flos`cu*la"ri*an) n. [From L. flosculus a floweret.] (Zoöl.) One of a group of stalked rotifers, having ciliated tentacles around the lobed disk.

(Flos*cule) n. [L. flosculus, dim. of flos flower: cf. F. floscule.] (Bot.) A floret.

(Flos"cu*lous) a. (Bot.) Consisting of many gamopetalous florets.

(||Flos`-fer"ri) n.[L., flower of iron.] (Min.) A variety of aragonite, occuring in delicate white coralloidal forms; — common in beds of iron ore.

(Flosh) n. [Cf. G. flösse a trough in which tin ore is washed.] (Metallurgy) A hopper-shaped box or nortar in which ore is placed for the action of the stamps. Knight.

(Floss) n. [It. floscio flabby, soft, fr. L. fluxus flowing, loose, slack. See Flux, n.]

1. (Bot.) The slender styles of the pistillate flowers of maize; also called silk.

2. Untwisted filaments of silk, used in embroidering.

  By PanEris using Melati.

Previous chapter/page Back Home Email this Search Discuss Bookmark Next chapter/page
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd, and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission. See our FAQ for more details.