(Fis"tu*li*form) a. [Fistula + -form.] Of a fistular form; tubular; pipe-shaped.
Stalactite often occurs fistuliform.W. Philips.
(Fis"tu*lose`) a. [L. fistulosus.] Formed like a fistula; hollow; reedlike. Craig.
(Fis"tu*lous) a. [Cf. F. fistuleux.]
1. Having the form or nature of a fistula; as, a fistulous ulcer.
2. Hollow, like a pipe or reed; fistulose. Lindley.
(Fit) imp. & p. p. of Fight. [Obs. or Colloq.]
(Fit), n. [AS. fitt a song.] In Old English, a song; a strain; a canto or portion of a ballad; a passus.
[Written also fitte, fytte, etc.]
To play some pleasant fit.Spenser.
(Fit), a. [Compar. Fitter ; superl. Fittest ] [OE. fit, fyt; cf. E. feat neat, elegant, well made, or
icel. fitja to web, knit, OD. vitten to suit, square, Goth. fetjan to adorn. &radic77.]
1. Adapted to an end, object, or design; suitable by nature or by art; suited by character, qualitties, circumstances,
education, etc.; qualified; competent; worthy.
That which ordinary men are fit for, I am qualified in.Shak.
Fit audience find, though few.Milton.
2. Prepared; ready. [Obs.]
So fit to shoot, she singled forth amongFairfax.
her foes who first her quarry's strength should feel.
3. Conformed to a standart of duty, properiety, or taste; convenient; meet; becoming; proper.
Is it fit to say a king, Thou art wicked?Job xxxiv. 18.
Syn. Suitable; proper; appropriate; meet; becoming; expedient; congruous; correspondent; apposite; apt; adapted; prepared; qualified; competent; adequate.
(Fit) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Fitted ; p. pr. & vb. n. Fitting ]
1. To make fit or suitable; to adapt to the purpose intended; to qualify; to put into a condition of readiness
The time is fitted for the duty.Burke.
The very situation for which he was peculiarly fitted by nature.Macaulay.
2. To bring to a required form and size; to shape aright; to adapt to a model; to adjust; said especially
of the work of a carpenter, machinist, tailor, etc.
The carpenter . . . marketh it out with a line; he fitteth it with planes.Is. xliv. 13.
3. To supply with something that is suitable or fit, or that is shaped and adjusted to the use required.
No milliner can so fit his customers with gloves.Shak.