(c) To put in proper condition by appareling, as the body; to put clothes upon; to apparel; to invest with
garments or rich decorations; to clothe; to deck.
Dressed myself in such humility.Shak.
Prove that ever Idress myself handsome till thy return.Shak.
(d) To break and train for use, as a horse or other animal.
To dress up or out, to dress elaborately, artificially, or pompously. "You see very often a king of England
or France dressed up like a Julius Cæsar." Addison. To dress a ship (Naut.), to ornament her by
hoisting the national colors at the peak and mastheads, and setting the jack forward; when dressed full,
the signal flags and pennants are added. Ham. Nav. Encyc.
Syn. To attire; apparel; clothe; accouter; array; robe; rig; trim; deck; adorn; embellish.
(Dress), v. i.
1. (Mil.) To arrange one's self in due position in a line of soldiers; the word of command to form
alignment in ranks; as, Right, dress!
2. To clothe or apparel one's self; to put on one's garments; to pay particular regard to dress; as, to dress
quickly. "To dress for a ball." Latham.
To flaunt, to dress, to dance, to thrum.Tennyson. To dress to the right, To dress to the left, To dress on the center (Mil.), to form alignment with
reference to the soldier on the extreme right, or in the center, of the rank, who serves as a guide.
1. That which is used as the covering or ornament of the body; clothes; garments; habit; apparel. "In your
soldier's dress." Shak.
2. A lady's gown; as, silk or a velvet dress.
3. Attention to apparel, or skill in adjusting it.
Men of pleasure, dress, and gallantry.Pope.
4. (Milling) The system of furrows on the face of a millstone. Knight.
Dress circle. See under Circle. Dress parade (Mil.), a parade in full uniform for review.
(Dress" coat`) A coat with skirts behind only, as distinct from the frock coat, of which the
skirts surround the body. It is worn on occasions of ceremony. The dress coat of officers of the United
States army is a full-skirted frock coat.
1. One who dresses; one who put in order or makes ready for use; one who on clothes or ornaments.
2. (Mining) A kind of pick for shaping large coal.
3. An assistant in a hospital, whose office it is to dress wounds, sores, etc.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.