Consummately to Contemplative
(Con*sum"mate*ly) adv. In a consummate manner; completely. T. Warton.
(Con`sum*ma"tion) n. [L. consummatio.] The act of consummating, or the state of
being consummated; completion; perfection; termination; end (as of the world or of life).
"'T is a consummation
Devoutly to be wished.
From its original to its consummation.
Quiet consummation have, Consummation of marriage, completion of the connubial relation by actual cohabition.
And renownéd be thy grave.
(Con*sum"ma*tive) a. Serving to consummate; completing. "The final, the consummative
procedure of philosophy." Sir W. Hamilton.
(Con*sump"tion) n. [L. consumptio: cf. F. consomption.]
1. The act or process of consuming by use, waste, etc.; decay; destruction.
Every new advance of the price to the consumer is a new incentive to him to retrench the quality of his
2. The state or process of being consumed, wasted, or diminished; waste; diminution; loss; decay.
3. (Med.) A progressive wasting away of the body; esp., that form of wasting, attendant upon pulmonary
phthisis and associated with cough, spitting of blood, hectic fever, etc.; pulmonary phthisis; called also
Consumption of the bowels (Med.), inflammation and ulceration of the intestines from tubercular
Syn. Decline; waste; decay. See Decline.
(Con*sump"tive) a. [Cf. F. consomptif.]
1. Of or pertaining to consumption; having the quality of consuming, or dissipating; destructive; wasting.
It [prayer] is not consumptive or our time.
A long consumptive war.
2. (Med.) Affected with, or inclined to, consumption.
The lean, consumptive wench, with coughs decayed.
(Con*sump"tive), n. One affected with consumption; as, a resort for consumptives.
(Con*sump"tive*ly), adv. In a way tending to or indication consumption. Beddoes.
(Con*sump"tive*ness), n. A state of being consumptive, or a tendency to a consumption.
(Con`ta*bes"cent) a. [L. contabescenc, p. pr. of contabescere.] Wasting away gradually.
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.