1. To cover with a coat or outer garment.
2. To cover with a layer of any substance; as, to coat a jar with tin foil; to coat a ceiling.
(Coat*ee") n. A coat with short flaps.
(Co*a"ti) (ko*ä"te or ko*a"ti), n. [From the native name: cf. F. coati.] (Zoöl.) A mammal of tropical
America of the genus Nasua, allied to the raccoon, but with a longer body, tail, and nose.
The red coati called also coati mondi, inhabits Mexico and Central America. The brown coati (N. narica)
is found in Surinam and Brazil.
1. A coat or covering; a layer of any substance, as a cover or protection; as, the coating of a retort or
2. Cloth for coats; as, an assortment of coatings.
(Coat"less) a. Not wearing a coat; also, not possessing a coat.
(Coax) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Coaxed ; p. pr. & vb. n. Coaxing.] [Cf. OE. cokes fool, a person
easily imposed upon, W. coeg empty, foolish; F. coquin knave, rogue.] To persuade by gentle, insinuating
courtesy, flattering, or fondling; to wheedle; to soothe.
Syn. To wheedle; cajole; flatter; persuade; entice.
(Coax), n. A simpleton; a dupe. [Obs.] Beau. & Fl.
(Co`ax*a"tion) n. [Gr. the noise of frogs.] The act of croaking. [R] Dr. H. More.
(Coax"er) n. One who coaxes.
(Coax"ing*ly), adv. In a coaxing manner; by coaxing.
(Cob) n. [Cf. AS. cop, copp, head, top, D. kop, G. kopf, kuppe, LL. cuppa cup (cf. E. brainpan),
and also W. cob tuft, spider, cop, copa, top, summit, cobio to thump. Cf. Cop top, Cup, n.]
1. The top or head of anything. [Obs.] W. Gifford.
2. A leader or chief; a conspicuous person, esp. a rich covetous person. [Obs.]
All cobbing country chuffs, which make their bellies and their bags their god, are called rich cobs.
3. The axis on which the kernels of maize or indian corn grow. [U. S.]
4. (Zoöl.) A spider; perhaps from its shape; it being round like a head.
5. (Zoöl.) A young herring. B. Jonson.
6. (Zoöl.) A fish; also called miller's thumb.
7. A short-legged and stout horse, esp. one used for the saddle. [Eng.]
8. (Zoöl.) A sea mew or gull; esp., the black-backed gull [Written also cobb.]
9. A lump or piece of anything, usually of a somewhat large size, as of coal, or stone.