To blaze away, to discharge a firearm, or to continue firing; said esp. of a number of persons, as a
line of soldiers. Also used (fig.) of speech or action. [Colloq.]
(Blaze), v. t.
1. To mark (a tree) by chipping off a piece of the bark.
I found my way by the blazed trees.
2. To designate by blazing; to mark out, as by blazed trees; as, to blaze a line or path.
Champollion died in 1832, having done little more than blaze out the road to be traveled by others.
(Blaze), v. t. [OE. blasen to blow; perh. confused with blast and blaze a flame, OE. blase. Cf.
Blaze, v. i., and see Blast.]
1. To make public far and wide; to make known; to render conspicuous.
On charitable lists he blazed his name.
To blaze those virtues which the good would hide.
2. (Her.) To blazon. [Obs.] Peacham.
(Blaz"er) n. One who spreads reports or blazes matters abroad. "Blazers of crime." Spenser.
Blazing star. (a) A comet. [Obs.] (b) A brilliant center of attraction. (c) (Bot.) A name given to
several plants; as, to Chamælirium luteum of the Lily family; Liatris squarrosa; and Aletris farinosa, called
also colicroot and star grass.
(Blaz"ing), a. Burning with a blaze; as, a blazing fire; blazing torches. Sir W. Scott.
(Bla"zon) n. [OE. blason, blasoun, shield, fr. F. blason coat of arms, OF. shield, from the root
of AS. blæse blaze, i. e., luster, splendor, MHG. blas torch See Blaze, n.]
1. A shield. [Obs.]
2. An heraldic shield; a coat of arms, or a bearing on a coat of arms; armorial bearings.
Their blazon o'er his towers displayed.
Sir W. Scott.
3. The art or act of describing or depicting heraldic bearings in the proper language or manner. Peacham.
4. Ostentatious display, either by words or other means; publication; show; description; record.
Obtrude the blazon of their exploits upon the company.
Thy tongue, thy face, thy limbs, actions, and spirit,
Do give thee fivefold blazon.
(Bla"zon), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Blazoned ; p. pr. & vb. n. Blazoning ] [From blazon, n.; confused
with 4th blaze: cf. F. blasonner.]
Copyright: All texts on Bibliomania are © Bibliomania.com Ltd,
and may not be reproduced in any form without our written permission.
See our FAQ for more details.