1. In most branches of science bi- in composition denotes two, twice, or doubly; as, bidentate, two-
toothed; biternate, doubly ternate, etc.
2. (Chem.) In the composition of chemical names bi- denotes two atoms, parts, or equivalents of that
constituent to the name of which it is prefixed, to one of the other component, or that such constituent
is present in double the ordinary proportion; as, bichromate, bisulphide. Be- and di- are often used
(Bi*ac"id) a. [Pref. bi- + acid.] (Chem.) Having two hydrogen atoms which can be replaced
by negative atoms or radicals to form salts; said of bases. See Diacid.
(Bi`a*cu"mi*nate) a. [Pref. bi- + acuminate.] (Bot.) Having points in two directions.
(Bi*an"gu*lar) a. [Pref. bi- + angular.] Having two angles or corners.
(Bi*an"gu*late Bi*an"gu*la`ted) a. [Pref. bi- + angulate, angulated.] Biangular.
(Bi*an"gu*lous) a. [Pref. bi- + angulous.] Biangular. [R.]
(Bi*an`ther*if"er*ous) a. [Pref. bi- + antherigerous.] (Bot.) Having two anthers.
(Bi`ar*tic"u*late) a. [Pref. bi- + articulate.] (Zoöl.) Having, or consisting of, tow joints.
(Bi"as) n.; pl. Biases [F. biasis, perh. fr. LL. bifax two-faced; L. bis + facies face. See Bi-, and
1. A weight on the side of the ball used in the game of bowls, or a tendency imparted to the ball, which
turns it from a straight line.
Being ignorant that there is a concealed bias within the spheroid, which will . . . swerve away.
2. A leaning of the mind; propensity or prepossession toward an object or view, not leaving the mind
indifferent; bent; inclination.
Strong love is a bias upon the thoughts.
Morality influences men's lives, and gives a bias to all their actions.
3. A wedge-shaped piece of cloth taken out of a garment (as the waist of a dress) to diminish its circumference.
4. A slant; a diagonal; as, to cut cloth on the bias.
Syn. Prepossession; prejudice; partiality; inclination. See Bent.
1. Inclined to one side; swelled on one side. [Obs.] Shak.
2. Cut slanting or diagonally, as cloth.
(Bi"as), adv. In a slanting manner; crosswise; obliquely; diagonally; as, to cut cloth bias.