Betterment to Beyond
1. A making better; amendment; improvement. W. Montagu.
2. (Law) An improvement of an estate which renders it better than mere repairing would do; generally
used in the plural. [U. S.] Bouvier.
(Bet"ter*most`) a. Best. [R.] "The bettermost classes." Brougham.
1. The quality of being better or superior; superiority. [R.] Sir P. Sidney.
2. The difference by which fine gold or silver exceeds in fineness the standard.
(||Bet"tong) n. [Native name.] (Zoöl.) A small, leaping Australian marsupial of the genus Bettongia; the
(Bet"tor) n. One who bets; a better. Addison.
1. [Supposed to be a cant word, from Betty, for Elizabeth, as such an instrument is also called Bess
(i. e., Elizabeth) in the Canting Dictionary of 1725, and Jenny ] A short bar used by thieves to wrench
doors open. [Written also bettee.]
The powerful betty, or the artful picklock.
2. [Betty, nickname for Elizabeth.] A name of contempt given to a man who interferes with the duties
of women in a household, or who occupies himself with womanish matters.
3. A pear-shaped bottle covered round with straw, in which olive oil is sometimes brought from Italy;
called by chemists a Florence flask. [U. S.] Bartlett.
(Bet"u*lin) n. [L. betula birch tree.] (Chem.) A substance of a resinous nature, obtained from
the outer bark of the common European birch or from the tar prepared therefrom; called also birch
(Be*tum"ble) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Betumbled ] To throw into disorder; to tumble. [R.]
From her betumbled couch she starteth.
(Be*tu"tor) v. t. [imp. & p. p. Betutored ] To tutor; to instruct. Coleridge.
(Be*tween") prep. [OE. bytwene, bitweonen, AS. betweónan, betweónum; prefix be- by + a
form fr. AS. twa two, akin to Goth. tweihnai two apiece. See Twain, and cf. Atween, Betwixt.]
1. In the space which separates; betwixt; as, New York is between Boston and Philadelphia.
2. Used in expressing motion from one body or place to another; from one to another of two.
If things should go so between them.
3. Belonging in common to two; shared by both.
Castor and Pollux with only one soul between them.