1. Forth flew the arrows of Pestilence
Round the pale living Corse on the Tree.
2. For in Urizen's slumbers of abstraction,
In the infinite ages of Eternity,
When his Nerves of Joy melted
A white Lake on the dark blue air,
In perturb'd pain and dismal torment,
Now stretching out,
now swift conglobing,
3. Effluvia vapour'd above
In noxious clouds; these hover'd thick
Over the disorganiz'd Immortal,
pain scurf'd o'er the Lakes,
As the bones of Man, solid and dark.
4. The clouds of Disease hover'd wide
Around the Immortal in torment,
Perching around the hurtling bones--
Disease on disease, shape on shape,
Wingèd, screaming in blood and torment!
5. The Eternal Prophet beat on his Anvils,
Enrag'd in the desolate darkness;
He forg'd Nets of iron around,
Los threw them around the bones.
6. The Shapes, screaming, flutter'd vain:
Some combin'd into muscles and glands,
Some organs for craving
Most remain'd on the tormented Void--
Urizen's army of horrors!
7. Round the pale living Corse on the Tree.
Forty years, flew the arrows of Pestilence.
8. Wailing and terror and woe
Ran thro' all his dismal world;